The atmosphere resembles the fall but with out any hunting and the days are actually becoming longer. Instead of gearing up for an expedition with warm clothes when the temps sink to just above freezing we wear t-shirts and assume it must be pushing 70. Eventually the air has that fresh spring smell in it, but with northern Maine's occasional second or third winter cycles there is no way of telling when spring really begins.
My spring wasn't too bad. Nothing exciting report. My goal was to just relax and let everyday organize itself. Nothing was confined to a scheduled that I didn't think of on the spot. If I can finish the month feeling board then I've accomplished enough as far as I'm concerned. The past few weeks have been full of the things I enjoy doing in my spare time. Catching up with old friends, movies, baking attempts, spring skiing, and taking naps are random points in the day. What a rebel right?
One of the exclusive highlights to this time of year is the skiing opportunities. While there is no guarantee of it crust cruising still remains the best form of XC skiing there is in my opinion. It's the golden standard. If I retire and drop the training load by 97% the remaining 3% will be crust skiing. Those elusive mornings when the humid snow from the warmer spring temps the day before freeze into a hard crust overnight turning the whole landscape into a ski trail are worth going to bed early.
For all of the great memories of crust skiing they will have to remain memories for now. There was very little to no crust skiing this year. Some years it's great and others, well they just don't pass the test. The test consist of stepping outside before breakfast with a ski pole in hand. If you can punch through the surface then the skiing isn't going to be great. If you can walk around on the snow bank and jab the snow all you want with out breaking through then the skiing is good to go. Most mornings this year I just ended up with little pole plant craters in the yard. Thankfully the afternoon classic ski sessions were a nice compensation.
Since there is a lot to be said about what's ahead for me I'll leave it for another update. Despite the good, the bad, and the still unclear everything is still functioning. Last week was a warm up for the training season. With a couple of higher intensity sessions and about 17 hours of volume the system is starting to wake up for another run through the summer gauntlet.
|The things you find on the ski trails these days.|
|May or may not have made this jump.|
|The Icarus effect.|
|Almost made it.|
|And then shut down.|