Tuesday, February 28, 2012

That which is not Fun.

       I've said before that getting sick and having to sit out on the sport is in fact, a crucial part of the sport whether you like it or not. That said, I still dislike being sick as much now as I did when I was 14. I'm not completely sure what it is I have this time. Is it bacterial, viral, a continuation of what ever it was I picked up in Finland, or something new from the Scheeburg? Regardless, I want the bad stuff out of the system and the good happy feeling back on top priority.
       After Finaland the team went back to Antholz for a semi easy week. Energy levels were fine and all was well, except for the fact that I was sleeping more than usual. This may not sound like a bad thing, but it was out of the ordinary for me. Since this was a minor issue at best I let it slide and didn't think much of it.
Desert buffet anyone?
        And then came Ridnaun. Ridnaun is a yet another gorgeous valley in northern Italy and the Scheeburg hotel only complements the place even more. The first day we were there I noticed my legs felt a little more heavy than I expected. There were multiple explanations for this and I figured a nice massage would fix all. The next day my legs were very sore and made it feel like I was working with rusted steel cables instead of the normal coiled springs that I strive for. Nevertheless ski speed was still strong and the coaches seemed pleased. We did an Italian cup on Saturday. This was after two fairly easy days of training. I cleaned prone, but missed three in standing. I was not discourage but this that much. I'm still confident about standing and was glad to have put five shots in the nine and ten ring for prone. What concerned me was how bad I felt on the skis. We had no wax techs and were limited on ski selection, but I knew something didn't feel right. I told the coaches and once again they said everything looked great from there perspective. I checked the result list and sure enough it wasn't that bad of race after all. So untimely how much did it matter if I didn't feel optimum? If the ski speed was there what more did I need?
        Turns out I wasn't crazy. The next day I woke up with an upset stomach. I had little difficultly getting down my normal breakfast... That was the last full meal I've had since then. Nutella doesn't even sound appetizing anymore. That's when you really know something's wrong. I feel drained and constantly have an upset stomach. On one occasion I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. The head rush was so bad that all I remember was holding onto the door frame and breathing, next thing I knew I was on the floor, wondering why my perceived bed felt so different.
        So as you can see I'm not doing so well at the moment. Thankfully I still have enough time to rid myself of this malevolent intruder before the first race in Rupholding. But, the sooner I can recover the better. I'm on some pro-biotics coupled with the usual battery of vitamins. It seems to be going in the right direction- slowly but surely. Any suggestions?

No comments: