Thursday, January 12, 2012

Let's go ski 20km!

       Five four km loops and 20 shots with a minute per miss is not a race to be taken lightly. There really is no race this time of year to taken lightly, but any amount of doubt will show it's self exponentially in an individual. today. You can't fake fitness in a 20km. I'm not going to go into great detail because I have a meeting with the coaches in 20 minutes about the very subject of today's individual
        The range here in Nove Mesto is tricky one. Oder of misses is 1,1,2,1. I took a few clicks on that second prone and as you can see from the two misses it did not pay off. Shooting was also very slow which a common theme for me these days. There is not much I can do about it now, but in the future there is going to have to be some improvement in the range times. I so sorely wanted to hit more of those elusive targets but if just wanting to shoot better lead to better shooting than I'm pretty sure the whole field would have cleaned.
         Ski speed was down right good. 35th on the day. I was bib 88 and I'm pretty certain anyone beyond bib 60 got the lower hand on snow quality. My skis were rocket ship fast on the first lap. It felt nice to pass Bjorendalen while cresting the biggest hill in the loop. The snow was becoming more and more saturated as the race progressed. By the third loop there was a hands down decrease in glide speed. This was not the wax techs fault nor the quality of Lowell's skis that I used today. Wet snow just isn't very fast and it was evident on the down hills. Nobody around my start number lit it up on course time so I'm pleased with how speed was today.
        64th was the placement at the end of the day. Last year I spent most of my WC time out in the 80s no man's land. 75%  shooting is okay but "okay" on the world cup will get you a kick in the teeth and a better luck next time. Nevertheless it was solid effort for me. There's no confirmation on my next start, but I'm more than anxious to get in that top 40 point field.

No comments: